These are some of the typical scenarios you would have faced with the candidates after you had finally selected them to join your company as an intern
- – The absconding one – The intern would not pick up calls or respond to emails – absconded!
- – Day one debacle – The intern would not turn up on day one – just when you had planned things for him
- – The disappearing one – The intern comes to work for a few days and realizes that it is not his/her cup of cake and disappears
- – The wrong one – The intern is not committed or needs a lot of hand-holding to get his/her work done
How do you address this? – Include the 10 hour task test in your intern recruitment process!
The 10 hour task test is a simple solution that has worked brilliantly for us as well as many of our clients whom we have interacted with. Here is what you do:
- 1. With minimal effort, Shortlist 5-6 guys candidates who you think may fit into the internship role
- 2. Give them all a task which they can finish from home – typically a task relevant to the internship role which takes them about 10 hours to finish and give them a 1 week deadline
- 3. The ones who finish task reasonably well in one week are the ones you SELECT!
- 4. You should even consider interviewing the candidates (if you want to) ONLY after this step
The 10 hour task test is a great way for you to find interns who are capable and committed. Best part is, the ones who pass this test are more likely to be a potential candidate for a full-time role in your company!