All of us dream of winning the $1 billion lottery! That day dream comes up all the time!
Ok hold on – do you know any friend or relative winning a lottery? The chances are, that no one we know has ever won a lottery – because, really, no one wins a lottery! It just never happens!
So, this article is not about how to win a lottery – but instead, it is about how to win something like a lottery, which we can call it as ‘Growth Lottery’.
Typical ‘Day Dream Lottery’ mindsets that we have seen among some students
- Applying randomly to 50 internships, hoping some company will give them an internship & a stipend
- Participating in a contest, hoping to win – without any prior effort to learn & gain knowledge
- Starting to ‘get serious’ in the final year of college and blindly hoping some company will recruit them for a job, since they need a job desperately.
Lets look at the Growth lottery
- Applying to internships only in companies, which are relevant to the knowledge and skills of a student
- Doing many small projects all through college days, starting from the 1st year
- Having hands-on skills – by actually practising to code, by actually marketing your college fest, by actually spending time in the machine room – getting your hands dirty & learning hands-on
- By learning from various people – friends, professors, attending events & fests, learning from mentors and everyone in the world
- Making small & steady progress towards a goal
Growth Lottery always wins over a day-dream lottery!
Here are is a student, Vishal who has shown this Growth Lottery approach Read his story of how he has learnt the skills and continues to learn the skills – which in turn, gives him the ‘lottery’