GIS Mapping Intern (for disaster risk reduction project, as part of Disaster Management and Emergency Preparedness project in mid Himalayas)
EduCARE India is committed to regional sustainable development and have grassroots projects to find innovative solutions in health, education, infrastructure, agriculture, natural resource management and disaster risk reduction.
Disaster Risk Reduction Project for hazards like landslides, mudslides, flash floods, earthquakes, catastrophic snow, heavy rain, and extreme cold weather in mountainous region of Himalayas in India has many a times caused destruction, deaths and suffering every year. Also these disasters constrain development in the region. The effects of these disasters are exacerbated by the lack of infrastructure and the isolation of villages strung out along low and high mountain valleys.
DMEP-CBDRR project team trains communities through participatory activities to strengthen their capacity to prepare for, mitigate, and wherever possible, prevent natural hazards.
- University graduate / post-graduate in Environmental Studies, Geography, Geology, Urban planning, Disaster Management, Risk Management, Computer Science, or other technical fields
- Knowledge of / experience and interest in GIS Mapping
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and adaptation skills to be able work with local communities and authorities.
- Basic knowledge of English (oral and written);
- Willingness to conduct field trips to urban and rural areas (a safe and peaceful regions in mid-Himalayas).
- Ability to work independently and in a team and to build the capacity of local staff.
Skills Required for this Internship
- Presentation Skills
- Communication Skills
- Problem Solving
What you will learn in this internshipDuties & Responsibilities:
- Establish an Arc Info/ Arc View GIS system to record disaster based information for the Dharamsala and Leh regions of the Himalayas.
- Populate the database with both available and field-collected data.
- Enable the generation of disaster hazard maps for designated area.
- Develop templates for field data collection according to the need of the GIS system.
- Digitize and geo-reference all the focus village and town maps into the GIS system (transform from raster to vector).
- Format and import all the vulnerability data into GIS and produce shape files for superimposition - Review and remove all the errors after a field checking and comparison with remote sensing images.
- Design all the maps according to set template and legends